} -->

Monday, March 16, 2009

The best day of my life!

Kristen over at An Ordinary Life has a great contest going on! You can win a JVC Everio GZ-HD320! I could really use this to document Brea's life. I would love to be able to get things like her first dance recital or her leaving for her first day of school recorded. I was not fortunate enough to tape her birth, but would love to get all the other great moments in her life!

The story of Brea's birth:


On the night before the best day of my life, I left work with every intention of working one more day before starting maternity leave. I had decided that I would rather spend my maternity leave with my baby instead of waiting for her to arrive. Because of this, I scheduled myself to work until the day after my due date. After all who goes into labor on their due date.

I got home and tried to lay down and go to bed, but my back was killing me! I thought it was from constipation and was completely miserable all night! I kept trying to lie down and get comfortable. I tried all kinds of weird positions, but nothing helped. At around six o'clock in the morning, I started to wonder if this was something more than constipation.

The first thing I did was call my grandmother and tell her to come and get me. I then called the hospital and spoke with a nurse. I told her the situation and that I thought I should come in and be examined. She told me that she would set up an appointment as soon as the office opened and they would examine me then. Well I figured that she knew better than me so I called my grandmother and told her not to come until 0830. After hanging up I got up to go lie back down and my water broke! I called my grandma back immediately and told her that she needed to come now. Then I called the hospital once again. I spoke with the same nurse and this time I informed her that my water had just broke. First she asked me if it was possible that I had just wet myself or something. I told her no and that my water had definitely broke (people told me I would know when it happened and that was definitely the truth!) She then said "that is not how it works." That is one comment that I will never forget! All kinds of crazy things went through my head.

Come to find out someone with a similar name had just been there to be assessed for pre-term labor. The girl was only 5 months pregnant and her assessment was okay. So when I had called the nurse did not verify my birthdate which resulted in mistaken identity. So finally after explaining that I was in fact full term and had not just been to visit them I was told to come straight to the labor and delivery unit.

After arriving at the hospital and being placed in a room I remember telling my grandma "I don't think I can do this." The pain was excruciating. Of course she responded by telling me I didn't have much choice at this point!

First I found out I was only 4 cm dilated. I was then hooked up to machines to monitor my contractions. They were very irregular and the intensity was not consistent. Contractions usually start out strong and then the intensity gradually declines. Mine were all over the place. Where the machine was supposed to show a gradual sloping, it showed a zigzag line. In other words my contractions were not very effective.

The doctor then told me that she would like to start me on Pitocin in hopes of regulating my contractions. She also informed me that Pitocin would increase the intensity of my contractions and therefore increase the pain. Prior to the Pitocin drip I received an epidural. The epidural was a lifesaver! Before going into labor I was positive that I would not use medicine unless absolutely necessary Well for me it was necessary and those able to do it without medicine I give you props! During all of this my grandmother , my mom, and my cousin were all with me. I would like to thank them for putting up with me. I am sure it was not easy!

What seemed like hours later they checked my cervix and I was still only 4 cm. The doctor came in and told me I had two choices. I could wait a couple of hours and see what happened or I could have a caesarean. In her opinion I was not going to be able to have the baby naturally even if I waited.

This was the hardest decision that I have ever had to make. I always just assumed that I would have an uncomplicated vaginal birth. I had never had surgery so just that in its self was very frightening. In the end I decided to go ahead with the caesarean. I remember right after making the decision I cried. For one I was scared, but I also felt inadequate because I was unable to have my baby naturally.

After talking with my mom and grandmother it was decided that my grandmother would go in with me. My mom didn't think she could handle the blood and the last thing I needed was someone passing out on me!

A little later the anesthesiologist arrived. He began poking my stomach and legs with a toothpick and asking if I could feel anything. Well the right side was completely numb, but I could feel everything on the left side. Once again I had a decision to make. I could get a spinal block or they could use the epidural that was already in place. The problem with using the epidural was that if I had feeling on one side it would probably be ineffective for that side. This was not a hard decision for me. Who in the world would want to feel one side during surgery? Not me! Therefore I decided to go with the spinal block.

Now I was all ready for surgery and to meet my precious baby. I was a still a little upset about having a caesarean, but more than anything I wanted to meet this little person I was bringing in the world!

During the surgery I was wide awake. I remember my grandmother being right beside me. I remember seeing a splatter of blood on the sheet in front of my face (that was a little freaky.) I didn't feel any pain at all just a little tugging sensation. What I remember the most is hearing "it's a girl," then I heard Breanna cry for the first time. Before they took her out of the room they brought her over so that I could see her and put her up to my face so that I could kiss her cheek. I am doubtful that I will ever experience that feeling again and there is no real way to describe it. All I can say is that it was the best day of my life and the beginning of a whole new world.





Thanks so much Kristin for a great giveaway!

11 comments:

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

I loved reading your birthing story! What a great day.

Kristin said...

How beautiful! Can I have her?

A Psych Mommy said...

Thanks for sharing your story! She sure is beautiful!

Cascia Talbert said...

What a beautiful story. And a beautiful little girl!

Anonymous said...

Aww, she looks so sweet! Her skin looks great for a newborn especially; not blotchy and all that!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful story! Isn't it amazing how your heart just instantly opens to a whole new level and you are so in love right away? I know exactly what you mean. She is a cutie!!

Amanda from Faith, Food and Family said...

I love reading birth stories! When I was pregnant for the first time I used to watch "A Baby Story" on TLC all the time. Loved reading yours!
God bless,
Amanda

Anonymous said...

She is so beautiful!! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

What an angel! Isn't it amazing how that one day that your child is born completely changes your whole life and so much about who you are too!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet story and a sweet mom and baby. Thanks for inviting me to visit :) Have a great Blog Party!

Laurie @ Madre Gear said...

I loved reading your birth story. It is awesome that you got to have your Grandma with you. I always have all of my family in the delivery room with me. It's like a party in there! I really missed not having my Grandma with me though. It sounds like you and your Grandma are really close and that's wonderful. I agree - it is amazing how much love a baby brings. I have four kids and I feel my heart swell with love every time and there is no other feeling like it. Your daughter is beautiful! :)