} -->

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

How can you treat you child like that!

Over the weekend I met up with a couple of friends at the park. While we were watching the kids play I overheard a mother yelling at her son. Yes, I know everyone loses their temper once in awhile and we forget to use our calm voices. This was different though.

This lady had grabbed her son by the arm and said "do you want me to whip you" okay so we are not great but not extremely bad yet. Then comes the "or I'll beat the living hell out of you." Now that is going over the top. After she essentially pulls the poor kid to the other side of the playground she says "why were you acting like such a queer." Now I am sorry if I offend anyone out there no scratch that I don't really care if I offend someone! THIS IS NOT OKAY! Sadly the boy's "meme" was nearby and never said anything about how he was being treated.

I finally asked my friend N quite loudly how someone could treat their child like that. I am sure that the girl heard me and they left shortly after that. Later I was talking to my friend J and she said that the only thing the little boy was doing was pretending to steer the fake train., I am sure he couldn't have been more than 4 and Imaginative play is healthy for that age.

My personal opinion is that if this girl keeps it up she is in for a whole world of trouble. Our children will emulate what they see and how they are treated. Sadly she will not be the only one to suffer due to these bad habits, but the boy will to. I hope and pray that this child has someone in his life to show him the right way to live life and that they will be a stronger influence then the girl who wants to call her self mom.

Now for my question to you. . .

How would you handle a situation like this? Hopefully I will never come across a situation like this again, but being realistic I probably will so I would love some ideas on what I should do. After all if children are being treated like this in front of complete strangers how are they being treated in the privacy of their homes.




10 comments:

Cascia Talbert said...

You really want my honest opinion? I would have called the cops. Seriously. If this woman is yelling at her son using those words can you just imagine what she could be doing to him at home? She was threatening this poor innocent child. But I think you did the right thing too. It is so sad to see people doing things like that. I hope and pray that she is not hurting him at home too.

Sandier Pastures said...

Honestly, I don't know what to say. Once I encountered a mom screaming and pinching and kicking(!!) her son in the park and I approached and said, you must not do that, the child doesn't deserve to be treated like that but she screamed at me saying, "it's none of your business. What I do to MY child is none of your business!!". I walked away feeling defeated, guilty and just prayed the child will not be harmed on the way home.

We can only do too much!! I hope there was something I have done better!

These kind of people do not deserve to have children!

annies home said...

my daughter has confronted people like this before. I am not so outgoing but if it was bad may of told manager or called police

Jennifer-Eighty MPH Mom said...

That's a tough one. I've witnessed similar things and I just feel so terrible for the children. It is NOT okay - you are right. I don't know what I would do really. If there was anything physical, I would definitely call the cops (and I'm sure at home she probably is physical). But mental abuse is just as bad. It is very upsetting to see something like this.

Maria's Space said...

Thank goodness you said the child was 4 or I would have said, hey that sounds like my sister.

Everyone parents differently and sometimes I am appealed at how my sister and some other family members speak to their children. They don't seem to understand how damaging their words are.

I may have just tried to get him involved in something with my kids, once she walked away. Do you want to play with us? I've seen situations like this and try not to judge (it's hard) how someone is speaking. I have no idea what her situation is and I would hope that by diffusing the situation a bit, she may have time to calm herself. Some people weren't meant to be parents and I feel sad for all involved. She will eventually alienate her children and they will eventually emulate what they learned growing up.

Maria's Space said...

You have been tagged
http://reesspace.blogspot.com/2009/05/six-unimportant-things-that-make-me.html

Pat said...

wow, like Sandier Pastures, I have no idea what to say or how I would react; I would probably not do anything since I tend to not intrude in people's lives.

Nicki said...

It seems like there really is nothing you can do, unless you actually witness the child being physically hurt by the parent. If you step in and say something to defend the child, a parent such as this one (obviously very IGNORANT) would probably just get angrier, more righteous, and take it out on her kid to show that SHE'S the one in charge! Ugh... I hope he has zomeone else in his life, like a teacher maybe, who can give him positive attention and keep an eye out for his wellbeing!

{:miss v:} said...

That's horrible. I actually have tears in my eyes. Poor child. I honestly don't know what I would have done. I'd most definitely be in shock. That just breaks my heart.

Anonymous said...

Imaginative play is great.
I have a post on that on my blog actually. Kids will be kids.
We have to pick our fights/arguements. I don't know the situation. When Tristan doesn't listen to me I try to explain to him why he can'd do something, if that don't work I will pop him on the butt, of course he has a diaper on and it don't hurt cause he just laughs at me. Every situation is different, so the discipline depends. I would never call my child a queer or say beat/hell out of you. Thats uncalled for...

on a much brighter note, I have a blog award for you on my blog!