} -->

Monday, June 1, 2009

I just saw a bear in the trailer park!

I just got home from taking my daughter for a walk through the trailer park. It was getting late, but not quite dusk yet. We had walked maybe a quarter of mile or a little less and turned around to go home. There were a bunch of people in talking by the road and the next thing I know one of the guys is pointing down the road saying "Look look there is the bear" Of course I looked and low and behold there was a bear crossing the street. The bear we saw was just a cub, but that always means mama is nearby.

The worse part is that the bear crossed in the direction we had to go home. I turned around and started walking the other way. I had no idea what to do. My grandmother lives at the other end of the trailer park and normally I would have just called her. As luck would have it my cell phone was DEAD! I told the people talking that I had to go back that way to get home and didn't know what to do.

Luckily one of the guys offered us a ride and got his father to take him home. I am so grateful that we didn't have to walk back. Now I think we will take our walks a little earlier in the day and we will definitely have a charged cell phone with us just in case!

What would you have done in this situation.

4 comments:

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

I would of been freaked out. Thank goodness those people were willing to help you out. You know if there is a cub, the mother is close by. You do not want to get in between a cub and it's mother.

Unknown said...

Man, that would be scary! i'm so glad that guy offered you a ride home.

Kirsty said...

Ack! Ack! Ack! So glad you did not come upon the cub (and mama) alone! Not sure what I would have done.

Linda said...

Wow! In a way that's really cool (I'm an animal lover and would have been in awe) but... yeh, scary.
We live in an area with bobcats and coyotes, but bears not so much.
I would have done just what you did - thankfully there were people there to help. :)